Well, Christmas is rapidly approaching, which means it’s time to don your scarf, strap on your ludicrous festive headgear and get into the Christmas spirit. Being based in Ripon means we’re able to live and work in some of the most picturesque places in Yorkshire, so here’s our top tips on how to make the most out of Ripon this wintertime.
- Go for a chilly winter’s day walk. Whether it’s with your dog, your children or just on your own, there’s no place better to crunch your way across frosty grass, than Studley Royal Deer Park. With deer, swans and squirrels aplenty, it’s hard to not fall in love with your surrounds. If you fancy partaking in an annual tradition, why not embark on the Boxing Day Pilgrimage, starting from Ripon Cathedral?
- Enjoy mulled wine, proper ale or festive fayre at literally any of the pubs or restaurants. The Wakeman’s Cafe, Lockwoods, The Royal Oak, are to name but a few of the fantastic eateries in Ripon. With some festive music in the background and some tasty nibbles to accompany your drinks, there are few better ways to feel festive.
- Get a proper feel for the history in Ripon by going to see the Hornblower. At 9pm on an evening, get yourself wrapped up (make sure you’re nice and snug – it can be chilly!), and head to the clocktower on the market square. Stand in front of the huge Christmas tree and soak up the history of Ripon as well as some festive spirit.
- Get your Christmas shopping done. Although lacking some larger stores, Ripon has plenty of small shops (such as Hector’s House and Tuttobello) full of little treasures that make perfect Christmas gifts. Late night shopping is also available, with stores in Ripon open until 8pm on Thursday 21st December! Not only is it great to be able to support local businesses, you can find unique, handmade and truly bespoke gifts, all within walking distance of our office.
- Sing your heart out. Embrace your inner Mariah Carey and take the whole family carol-singing on Christmas Eve. Wear your best Christmas jumper, warm up your vocal chords and head on down to Ripon Cathedral at 11am on Christmas Eve – it’s impossible to not feel the Christmas cheer!
We’re sure we’re missing out many amazing festive events and local traditions, our list is just the tip of an iceberg! Being based in Ripon, North Yorkshire, provides us with such an amazing area to get to enjoy this festive period in – what is at the top of your to do list in Ripon?